Thursday, May 31, 2012

Gluten-free Multi-grain Flour Tortillas

Easy and Amazing Tortillas!

I sort of fell into making tortillas last night because honestly I was at a loss of what to make for dinner. I was tired after going on a cleaning rampage and wasn't feeling like cooking, at all. However, my family requires food so I had to get my wits about me and see what I was going to make. I had a pack of ground meat in the kitchen so I thought about one of my good ole fall backs: Soft Tacos. Yes. But then the problem came, kiddo hates corn tortillas but loves tacos. It would have made like easier if he would eat corn tortillas, but when are things terribly easy, that takes out all the fun, right? Sure. I also had purchased some gluten-free tortillas at the store, but when we tried them they seemed to crumble apart. So I looked about for some flour tortilla recipes. 

Gluten-free tortilla steps to make

One day on twitter I was very encouraged when a friend posted pictures of her gluten-free tortillas, so I thought that I must be able to do it. I searched and was finding some things here and there and ultimately decided to try a recipe from SeriousEats.com but I didn't have too much rice flour and really wanted to try to incorporate a few other grains for a healthier tortilla. So I decided, after my dumpling trials, that I would try to use a little more sorghum and millet for so chewiness and obviously so good health factors. I ended up with approximately a 3:2:1:1 flour ratio which seems to have worked out beautifully. I don't have a tortilla press, so the directions simply use a small wooded rolling pin to make the tortillas. 

Soft taco with gluten-free tortillas

The family LOVED these tortillas and honestly, they were pretty easy to make. 

Gluten-free Multi-grain Flour Tortillas 

(adapted from SeriousEats.com)
2/3 C rice flour
1/3 C sorghum flour
¼ C millet
¼ C potato starch
1/2 cup tapioca starch
2 teaspoons granulated sugar
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons lard or vegetable shortening
3/4 cup cold water, plus more as needed

  1. Whisk together white rice flour, sorghum flour, millet, potato starch, tapioca starch, granulated sugar, xanthan gum, baking powder, and salt. Using a fork or pastry blender, cut in shortening into flour blend until the flour blend looks grainy.
  2. Add 1/2 cup water. Stir into dough using a wooden spoon. Dough will be dry. Add additional 1/4 cup water. Stir. If dough begins to hold together, stop. If dough remains dry, add water, 2 tablespoons at a time. Add water by the tablespoon only until the dough comes together when you start to press on it.
  3. Turn dough onto generously white rice floured countertop. Begin to knead dough until its smooth. It should not stick to your hands nor should it be wet. If the dough seems dry, add a tablespoon of water. If the dough is too wet, knead in additional flour. To test the consistency, pinch off a generous tablespoon and roll it between your palms. The dough should form a ball easily and not stick to your hands. Cover dough with plastic wrap.
  4. Heat a cast iron (or heavy skillet) on medium-high heat.
  5. Pinch off about two tablespoons of dough. Roll into a ball in your hand and then slightly start to press out the ball with your fingers to flatten it a bit. Place on the floured surface and using a small rolling pin start to roll out the ball, rotating it after eat roll to keep a round shape. As you roll the dough, you may need to add a little more flour under the dough and a little on top to keep the pin from sticking to the dough.
  6. Immediately after you have rolled the dough flat, place on the heated skillet. When the surface of the tortilla starts to get little bubbles rising up it’s time to flip it over, about 1-2 minutes at the most. When the tortilla starts to get bubbles underneath, making the tortilla rise a little, it is time to pull it off.
  7. Repeat with the all the dough, one tortilla at a time until all the dough has been used. After pinching off dough, return the remaining portion to the plastic bag to keep it moist. As you pull tortillas from the pan, place them on a place covered to keep them warm.

Tortillas are best served right away. However, they can be stored overnight in a sealed plastic bag. Heat before serving to soften.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment