Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Wednesday Waffles

So a few weeks ago I bought a waffle iron and was simply overjoyed with my purchase, maybe a little more than any sane person would be with the addition of a waffle iron to the family. See, normally I am very anti-unitasker appliances... we live in little more than a shoe box with the smallest kitchen I have ever had the disdain to cook and bake in. So aside of my rice cooker and coffee maker, I don't usually use unitaskers except that I found various recipes suggesting the use of the amazing waffle maker for many things. Of course they are all waffle shaped, but OMG, the amazingness of the things I can make! Here I thought that waffles were just for breakfast or that odd mix of Chicken and Waffles.

So with my new insight into waffledom, I decided to purchase a inexpensive and small maker to work with. I decided that I was going to embark on my first adventure and purchased all the ingredients needed to make potato waffles for a breakfast thingy with sausage and eggs. I saw the image next to Silvana Nardone's recipe and HAD to have it. So in the wee early hours of St. Patty's day, MacLeod and I decided it was potato waffle time.. potatoes are irish, right? Either way, we would dine. So we set off making our meal, slightly varied from Ms. Nardone's, but AMAZING. This success fueled my desire to do more with my waffle iron.

The following Monday I had Coconut Curry Chicken on the menu and decided to do it with the waffle iron! Yes, I made chicken stuffed waffles and they were amazing. Interestingly, even kiddo liked them with all their textures and all!

This morning however, it occurred to me that I had not actually made breakfast waffles, hmm. So I decided to try something rather normal and actually make breakfast with the waffle maker. I pulled my GF/CF ingredients out and went to work on some amazing Chocolate Chip Waffles. Kiddo was pleasantly surprised to see waffles that were simply waffles.

GF/CF Chocolate Chip Waffles

1 1/2 C gluten-free flour mix
1 tsp baking powder
1 1/4 C almond milk (or rice or soy)
2 eggs
1/2 C margarine or casein-free butter, melted
2 Tbs sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 C Casein-free mini chocolate chips

Makes about 8 waffles

Pre-heat waffle iron.

Mix together flour blend and baking powder in a large mixing bowl. In another bowl, combine milk, eggs, margarine, sugar and vanilla and whisk to combine. While mixing, slowly add the milk mixture into the dry mixture and stir until well blended.

With the using a scoop or measuring cup, pour 1/2 C of batter onto each waffle spot on the iron and spread it slightly to the edges. Close iron and allow it to cook until done. Try not to lift the top open before it lets you know its complete or you may separate the top of the waffle from the bottom.

You can enjoy your waffle with syrup or just some powdered sugar. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment