Friday, April 27, 2012

Gluten-free Hamburger and Hotdog Buns


The quest for tasty buns.....


I would like to say that we can live without bread in our lives, something my waistline would really appreciate as well. Alas, we are bread eaters and bread, much like pasta, is a staple in kiddo’s diet. So after tackling a good White Bread recipe that the kids and MacLeod love, it was time to head into the “rolls” area, namely Hamburger and Hotdog buns. Now I will be the first to drop into my local grocery store (not the most local one, but the good one that has all the great gluten-free stuff) and grab a bag of rolls or buns (the kids really love Udi’s) but on a weekly or daily basis? No, I think I would go bankrupt. At $5.00 or more for a pack of 4 rolls, I can’t swing it too often. So I decided it was time to get to some bun making.

As I do with all endeavors, I see what other people have done before. I mean wasn’t it Newton who said “If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.” So maybe I am not seeing further, but I am standing on other’s shoulders to get to where I want to with gluten-free baking.  So I found a number of recipes and one that seemed to work super for me was one by Teri Grus from theGluten-free Cooking Guide. She adapted it from 125 Best Gluten-free Recipes byDonna Washburn and Heather Butt.

I first tried the recipe as Grus has it written here, with the exclusion of amaranth because it is incredibly hard to find in my area. It worked ok, but I was still looking for something casein-free as well and this recipe used buttermilk powder. I had to make some changes that would balance the flours and dairy content and changed the flour blend as well to something a little nutritious (sans amaranth) that included a blend my family already liked. It took me a little while (3 tries) but I got a bun that I have been pretty happy with and the kids love. Grandma even said she thought it was fantastic!

Gluten-free Hamburger bun with dairy-free cheese, Yum!

Hamburger and Hotdog Buns

1 ¾ C brown rice flour
1 C potato starch
2/3 C tapioca flour
¾ C oatmeal flour
2 tsp xanthum gum
1 ½ tsp salt
2 Tbs sugar
1 Tbs dry active yeast
½ C rice milk
¾ C club soda
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
¼ C olive oil
2 eggs
2 egg whites


In a medium sized bowl combine the sugar, yeast, milk and club soda and allow the yeast to puff.

In a separate bowl blend together the dry ingredients; rice flour, potato starch, tapioca flour, oatmeal flour, xanthum gum and salt.

Add yeast mixture to the bowl of a stand mixer and on low speed at the vinegar, olive oil, eggs and egg whites. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet, one cup at a time allowing the mixture to blend before adding next cup. When all the dry ingredients are added allow the dough to mix on medium speed for 1-2 minutes. The dough should be sticky, but easy to handle. If it is too sticky to handle add  ¼ cup of rice flour.

Prepare a sheet pan with parchment paper.

Turn the dough onto a floured surface and knead into a ball. Cut the ball of dough into 8 equal pieces. On the floured surface shape each portion into a ball and place on the baking sheet.  Press each ball down on the sheet forming a bun shape and smooth it out with your hands.
To make hotdog buns, instead of pressing the rounds down, roll the ball of dough on the floured surface making a cylinder. Take each cylinder and place it on the parchment covered sheet and press it down slightly.

Brush each roll with olive oil to prevent the dough from cracking when rising. Place the pan in a warm place and allow the dough to rise, about 45 minutes to 1 hour until the dough doubles in size.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Place the risen dough into the oven and bake for about 20 minutes or until the rolls are golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment