Monday, April 16, 2012

Spring Break

Day two into Spring Break and I felt like my brain was melting. I love my kids, God knows I do, but school breaks are hard. It's also not that I can't handle my own children or dislike spending time with them, no no, it is not that. It is however a major change in kiddo's schedule. Changes make kiddo haywire and that is where we are living right now. He and sis are in the bedroom screaming at one another and kiddo is furious that SHE touched HIS toy. I look over from the kitchen as I am getting breakfast made, some delicious GF Pancakes with strawberry sauce, just in time to see one tackle the other in what looks to be a death match.

"ENOUGH!" They both look over literally, one with a fist full of hair and the other with a hand clenching a t-shirt, like two deer in the headlights. "Kiddo, come here NOW." He jumps up sighs then yawns really big (that is what he does when he is about to do something he really doesn't want to do) and shuffles over to the kitchen grumbling the entire way.

"What is going on?" He looks down at the ground and continues to grumble, something to the effect that his sister had his Legos. "This change in schedule is tough, isn't it?" He replies, still looking at the ground "yes, it's very hard." "Look, I know that it's hard for things to change and be different than they normally are, but I am really trying to keep us moving, can we please, please, please try to calm down a little? I have lots of plans for us to do things and have a great time, but we need to do one thing at a time, ok?"

I direct him over to the living room where he has a number of books on Cicadas and World Records that he loves to read. He plops on the sofa and starts reading. Sis tries to approach him and I glare at her, "why don't you go read in YOU'RE room, ok?" She turns around and heads to her room and plops on her bed to read.
I continued making breakfast, three pancakes fell victim to the hot pan during the scuffle, but breakfast was served none the less.

I would love to say that the rest of the week was a breeze, but it wasn't. I did love spending the extra time with the kiddos, but I tell you- it has it's challenges as motherhood does in various ways anyway. We dealt with various stages of meltdown throughout the week regarding going out, socks and shoes, t-shirts and their seams and the food presented to eat. A lot of the normal stuff just amplified, as it always is when there is a big change in schedule. Transitions are incredibly hard for kiddo and I try to make things easy as possible, but there is only so much I can do to buffer things. At the end of the day I know that I have done the best that I can and start again tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment